This is related to my previous post. How can you have sambal for the nasi lemak without the nasi (rice) itself. Right?
To me, to make the meal complete, the rice plays an equally important part. It has to be rich, fragrant and yet fluffy. For me, I can eat this on it’s own, or just with a fried egg and ikan bilis. It is that yummy.
My kids, especially my elder girl loved this to bits. Like me, she can eat a whole plate with just a fried egg.
You can either cook in this in a rice cooker entirely, steam it (nasi lemak kukus), or like what I’d usually do in my “cheat” version – is to cook it in the rice cooker THEN steam it.
Note: the amount below is typically cooking to feed an army! – i.e for approx 20-25 pax
10 cups of rice
500gm of thick coconut milk (divide into approx 3 portions)
3-4 tsp heap of salt
5-6 shallot – finely sliced
1″ ginger – finely julienne
- Wash the rice and place in rice cooker. Add water enough (for 10 cups of rice) as per cooking instruction but less approx approx 200gm of water.
- In place of that, add 200 gm of the coconut milk and approximately 1 tsp of salt. (Taste to ensure the coconut milk-water has a tinge of saltiness)
- “Tied-up” the pandan leaves into a knot and add into the rice pot. Cook as per normal.
- Once the rice cooker button pops-up, fluff the rice and divide into 2 portion.
- Meanwhile prepare a steamer. If you have a 2-tiered steamer, line the top tray with a muslin/ cheese cloth.
- In a small bowl, take 1 portion of the thick coconut milk (approx 250gm++), and in it add 1 tsp heap of salt. (Taste to ensure the coconut milk is salty).
- In a clean pot, scoop 1/2 the cooked rice into the pot. Drenched the rice with the salted coconut milk (in #6), and also add in half the portion of the sliced shallots and ginger. Gently stir and mix the rice to ensure each grain of the rice is now coated with the thick coconut milk.
- Once it is well mixed, pour the rice into the muslin cloth and steam on mid/ high heat for approx 20-30 mins.
- Repeat #6-8 with the 2nd half of the cooked rice.
Serve the rice with the sambal ikan aye/ sambal nasi lemak.