Chinese New Year – a start of a new Chinese calendar year. As we celebrate this festival with family and friends, food is a definite part of this celebration.
While there’s the traditional must-have food such as nian-gao, huat-kuih and tang-yuan for prayers, cookies is another must-haves for CNY.
For me, this Butter Oats cookies is one that I will definitely bake every year. There are a few reasons for this: 1) It’s my family favourite, especially my late dad ; 2) It’s an easy recipe to bake, and believe me because this is one of the very first cookies I baked (when I was still in secondary school) ; 3) It’s really yummy as I love the crunchy texture of this cookie; 4) I can opt not to use egg in the cookie batter thus it’s suitable for those who are vegetarian.
This recipe is an adaptation of a cookie recipe from Quaker Oats which I tweaked over the years.
125g butter (soften) — if you use unsalted butter, then remember to add a pinch of salt.
120g sugar — I’d usually reduced to 100g, and some still find it a tad too sweet
120g plain flour (sifted)
3 level tsp of baking powder (sifted with the flour)
8 tbsp of oats (Quaker Oats/ roll oats)
A handful of raisin (add more if you like raisin, otherwise you may omit this altogether); or you may substitute this with cranberries (which I did this year)
* 1/3 bowl of desiccated coconut — optional … (and if I add this, I would reduce the same amount of oats, give a slight variation from the original recipe
* 1 egg — optional
* to make it more colourful, you may also wish to add glazed red/ green cherries on top of the cookies.
1. Cream butter till creamy then add sugar. Mix it well. (If you wish to add egg, you need to add in at this step)
2. Then add in sifted flour. Use a spatula to fold in the flour and ensure it is well mixed.
3. Add the oats and raisin/ chopped cranberries (and desiccated coconut if you wish).
4. Once it’s well mixed, use a teaspoon and drop the cookie batter onto a baking tray.
5. Baked in a pre-heated oven at 165-170C for 20 minutes or till cookies is golden brown.
6. Remove from tray while still warm and set aside to cool.
Great with coffee or a cup of cold milk!!!